Teatro Tomasino, the University-Wide Theater Guild of UST is celebrating its 39th year. Its the organization in which me, Arnold Clavio, Piolo Pascual, Direk Wenn Deramas (to name a few) started. For me as the guilds Professional Adviser for more than 15 years, one of my duty is to give a Professional Adviser’s note every play to be read in the souvenir program in each of our production. Let me share to you my professional adviser’s note for our first major production “Hindi na Muli” directed by our Honorary Member Joel Garcia. Please take note that this note is intended for Thomasian students who would most likely buy and read our program. So you are welcome!
15 on 39
Happy 39th Anniversary Teatro Tomasino. I joined this University Wide Theater Guild on its 12th year in 1989. Fresh from highschool, na-Culture Shock ako! Grabe, ang lakas ng dating ng mga Teatro Tomasino members that time. Little did I know that in a few years time, I will be one of those na “Malakas and Dating”. Maybe because of the over flowing creative juices kaya malakas ang dating namin or dahil mga Theater People kami kaya malalaki ang movements at malakas boses namin. But seriously, I owe Teatro Tomasino big time. Sabi ko nga dati kung tao lang itong si Teatro Tomasino baka sya na ang boyfriend ko bilang sya ang may pinaka matagal akong may relasyon. I was the secretary of the guild on its 15th year and now its Professional Adviser for more than 15 years. Kung nagkatuluyan kami ni Teatro Tomasino malamang may anak na kaming 15 years old ngayon. Grabe!In celebration of our 39th year, here are 15 things I have learned, experienced and will treasure in Teatro Tomasino:
- You can find true friends in an org that you’ll join in college. Most of my closest gay friends are from Teatro Tomasino.
- Your org in college can actually land you a job after college. HRM grad ako sa UST. Not Communication Arts that most people think. May experience in Teatro Tomasino in college made it easy for me to join showbiz in 1993.
- If you want to pursue a career on acting or any on cam job, might as well join your college Theater guild. Arnold Clavio, Piolo Pascual and my self are from Teatro Tomasino.
- If you want to pursue a career on being a director do number 3 as well. The late box office director Wenn Deramas, Direk Don Cuaresma of “Be my Lady” and Direk Erick Salud of “Doble Kara” all started in Teatro Tomasino.
- If you want to be a Television Executive, do number 3 pa din. Roxy Liquigan, head of Star Cinema/MOR, Lui Andrada, Business Unit Head of ABS-CBN and Rams David, head of Triple A Talents and TAPE TV Executive are all from Teatro Tomasino.
- “Be carefull who you bullied challenge” in FB is real. Pucha ang panget ko nong college. Haha. So yung itsura mo ngayong college ka ay hindi pa final so dont loose hope! Pwede ka bang gumanda, yun lang, pwede ka din pumanget. Afraid.
- Be carefull what you eat. Hindi ito challange sa FB pero totoo din ito. Pucha 24 ang waist line ko nong college. Ngayon? Next question pls.
- First love dies. Sa Teatro Tomasino ko na meet ang “first love” ko. Mag Kumare na kami ngayon. Patay! Haha.
- 1990’s Gen X is intirely different from 2000’s Millenials kaya dont compare. Bilang tinawid ko ang dalawang generation na ito, as Teatro Tomasino’s Professional Adviser, I have come into conclusion na napaka layo ng pinagkaiba ng College students noong 90’s sa college students ngayon. Baka sa blog ko na lang www.johnlapus.com ilagay kasi mahaba pag dito. Basta malaki ang pagkakaiba. May positive at negative. As in.
- You can learn things from people younger and older than you. Bilib na bilib ako sa mga seniors ko sa Teatro Tomasino noon. Most of my acting and directorial (atleast in Theater) I learned from them. But surprisingly, may mga mas bata sa akin na pinapabilib ako. Teatro Tomasino have young actors na napaka huhusay. Most of them can also do Technical Theater stuff. Naku yan ang hindi ko natutunan ever. So learn from your seniors and give your juniors a chance to show their stuff. You’ll see.
- Your College Org is just your Extracurricular Activity. I always remind Teatro Tomasino officers and student members that they are in UST because of their courses not because of their college org. So pag napabayaan mo ang studies mo at bumaksak ka then natanggal ka sa UST e automatic hindi ka na member ng college org mo. Ganon lang kasimple. Get? Promise nakita ko na ito.
- Temper can get you nowhere. Ako mismo ginawa at naexperience ko ito noon sa Teatro Tomasino. Sa sobrang init ng ulo ko naninigaw ako ng mga staff at actors pag may ginagawa silang mali or pag hindi nila nagagawa ang gusto ko. But I realized same din pala ang impact kung kakausapin mo sila ng maayos at malumanay. Try nyo.
- Plays can be a life changing experience. May mga production ang Teatro Tomasino na pinasaya ako at ang puso ko. I was in a state of extreme loneliness when I experienced this plays. By merely watching or sometimes being a part of a theater production can really moved you. Sana maramdaman nyo din ito after watching or being a part of our first major production “Hindi na Muli”directed by our Honorary Member Joel Garcia. Break a leg Direk!
- May bukas pa. Tama si Santino. Kung ano man ang pinagdadaanan nyo sa buhay ngayon, tapos na yan bukas. Minsan ikaw din ang makakagawa ng paraan. Mag pa-pause ka lang sandali at magiinhale at exhale. I did plays in Teatro Tomasino na hirap na hirap ako. Akala ko hindi ko magagawa. I had subjects when I was a student na feeling ko babagsak ako. Well, mali ang akala ko.
- Remember our Theology subjects? Well its true. God can move mountains and create miracles. Pag wala ka ng mapuntahan and you think that your in a dead end, talk to him. He’ll answer in different ways or through other people. Minsan nga sa strangers pa. Mas bongga kung sumagot. Saint ka the next day.I intentionally created this as a message for Thomasian college students since alam ko most of you are reading this now. I hope may natutunan naman kayo or nainspired kahit konti. Thank you for supporting our first major production for our 39th year. And to my Teatro Tomasino family see you on our 40th. Let’s do this!
JOHN LAPUSProfessional Adviser